Gut Healing Chocolate Mousse
Hold up. Did you just read that correctly? 'Chocolate' and 'Gut Healing' in the same title? Yes you did! I should also mention that this recipe only has four ingredients and is very easy.
Let's talk about gut health and why it's important.
Think of gut health as the foundation to all health, because really it pretty much is. Your gut is responsible for your digestive and immune system. These effect your body's immune response, hormone regulation, absorption of vitamins and minerals, as well as the ability to eliminate toxins.
I speak from experience when I talk about gut health as just over a year ago my gut stopped absorbing nutrients. This ment that my organs, muscle etc. were not getting what they needed to function normally. It led to a range of health problems including a chronic protein deficiency which caused my hair to fall out. Other health issues included a lowered immune system, which meant I was always sick and irregular hormones which lead to, sleep problems, lowered energy levels and weight gain.
What can gelatin possibly do to my gut health?
While there are many, many ways to look after your gut health, in this recipe I have used gelatin. Because... Chocolate mousse.... duh!
Gelatin helps heal the lining of your gut, it reduces inflammation and assists with breaking down fats and proteins. This results in more consistent digestion to better absorb food (think vitamins, minerals, all the nutrients!).
BONUS Gelatin also promotes healthy skin. It has two amino acids that are used in the production of collagen which is know for giving skin a youthful and healthy appearance. Not to mention it contains the amino acid glycine, which helps the liver flush out toxins in your body.
To my VEGAN friends,
Do not worry! You can still make this recipe vegan! Just replace the gelatin with agar and you can enjoy a low sugar, gluten-free, dairy free, vegan, delicious chocolate mousse!
400ml of Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk (depends what you prefer, both work)
1tbsp High Quality Digestive Gelatin
100g of Dark Chocolate
1tsp Vanilla Bean
1. Place a pan on the stove on medium heat and pour in coconut milk.
2. Add chocolate and continue to whisk the coconut milk and chocolate until they have completely mixed together. Ensure the pan is warm enough to melt chocolate but not too hot that your coconut milk will boil.
3. Gradually add gelatin, continuing to whisk while adding it. Make sure not to just pour the whole tablespoon in at once as it will clump.
4. Once gelatin has dissolved take the pan off the heat, add vanilla, whisk again, pour in a serving glass or contain, place in fridge and wait 30mins to 1hr to serve.
5. Enjoy the taste and the health benefits!